Union station opened in June of 1888 and was torn down in 1961 to make way for a shopping plaza. The furor over the razing of the station marked the beginning of the Greater Portland Landmarks organization and the preservation of historic buildings in Portland.
Entire original contents Copyright 2010 Max Gordon. Contributed items are copyright their respective creators. No part of this work may be copied or republished in electronic or printed form without prior approval of the respective copyright holder.