Thursday, September 18, 2014

Jay's Motel and Magic Wand


Here's a 1960's chrome card of Jay's Motel and Benny's Coffee Shop, in Elko, Nevada.  I especially like the Googie architecture sign out front, with the ovals framing the names of the establishments and the big "magic wand" with the starburst at the end.

Elko is called the "Heart of Northeastern Nevada," basically because there is nothing else there for miles around.  It's on the highway, though, so there were a number of motels like this one for the folks traveling between Salt Lake City and Reno.

Jay's is now a Budget Inn, and they went and lopped off the top of the top of the sign, halfway up.  Here's the proof:


I kind of like the older version better!

1 comment:

Beth Niquette said...

Hahaha...me too! What a fun post! I enjoyed it very much. Have a great day, my friend and Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!