Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Controversial Topic

They say never discuss religion or politics. Here I go, breaking the rule. This linen-era postcard from the American Legion makes the point that teaching your child religion will prevent all kinds of personal and societal ills. Is this card ironic and campy, or still right on in 2011? Discuss!

The back of the card goes on to say:

"The Altars of God are the Hope of a Nation, The principles of religion alone
can avert spiritual, moral and economic bankruptcy. Going to church regularly
will make for happier homes and a better community life."

6 comments:

Postcardy said...

I like the card but I don't agree with the message.

Snap said...

Interesting card. I'm with Postcardy. Happy PFF

MuseSwings said...

In some cases it's belief in off-the-wall religions that results in chaos and crime.
I don't agree with the message on the card. I see what they're getting at, but forcing a don't do this, have to do that religion of rules on children is not the way to go about teaching them to love themselves and others enough to be a good kind and moral people.
I do believe that a voluntary, honest, true belief in, following of, and love for Jesus will keep a person on the right path. Leading, guiding and not pushing our children into a moral lifestyle will give better results.

Joy said...

I don't think that card is from a tolerant branch of Christianity. Interesting card giving an insight into history.

Tete said...

Great and interesting. I think it has great potential for any time. But what it takes to be great nation is teaching that every action has consequences. That we are all the same and we should treat others the way we would like to be treated. Parents need to take responsibility for raising their children, not letting everyone else do it for them.
My opinion.
Hugs- Tete

Aimee Dars said...

Very interesting! I haven't seen vintage PCs before so directive about church!